Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Independent Projects - work in progress

Independent Projects is a class that runs on Thursday nights at Northcote Pottery Supplies. It allows those with some experience to focus on a project of their own design with help from tutor Raymond Laurens.

Two of the participants have agreed to let us display their efforts in Pan Gallery, allowing us to take a peek into the sometimes fulfilling, often frustrating artistic process that characterises ceramics.

In response to questions regarding expectations and realisations of the course...

Sophie Harle stated...
I was getting into a bit of a rut, just doing the same sorts of throwing and so I was excited about the prospect of seeing how other potters work. There wasn't anything specific I wanted to achieve, simply being around other potters and having the opportunity to share ideas and get some throwing done, was all I was looking for.

I started throwing off the hump, experimented with slips, mixed up a large batch of glaze, learnt how to throw a new type of lid, pulled handles. And I got to watch other potters throw, a rare treat.

It exceeded my expectations. I hadn't realised just how isolating it can be throwing on your own, and it's incredibly refreshing and inspiring to have an evening once a week with other potters where you can share ideas, recipes and just help each other out.


And Michael Ricca said...
My main reason for taking the course, was to be around like minded people so that I could improve in all aspects of my ceramics. In particular I wanted to refine and perfect my throwing techniques, particularly throwing off the hump. I also wanted to experiment with new clays which are somewhat out of the ordinary, such as 'Kagero', a Japanese inspired clay body and bone china, which needed special firing.

Taking the course resulted in a dramatic improvement in my standard of work particularly throwing, I was very inspired to try throwing very fine pots, which were a success. I also left my 'comfort zone' and started throwing large platters, plates and bowls, which are both functional and aesthetically pleasing. After the class was complete, I started using 'Southern Ice' which is an incredible material, had it not been for the class I would have never even considered using it. Not everything was a smashing success, some distorted forms which I made did not live up to expectations, which just goes to show that ceramics can be a bit hit and miss at times. 


I feel grateful for this genuine insight into two new creative journeys. Many artists find it difficult to expose their work at completion, let alone when it is work in progress. 

No comments: